I will start by saying this: I don't like sharing. As someone who LOVES being around people and hosting people, I specifically don't like to share recipes. In fear that I might miss out on hangout time, it's like I want people to rely on my presence for certain delicious foods and drinks. Totally insecure and delusional--I understand. Fortunately, there's enough love in my life that I'm slowly able to let these irrational ideas go (yes, ideaS--there are others). So, this is me saying--I want to share this thing I love with you even at the risk of losing some time spent with you.
Now that that's off my chest--here goes...
A couple years ago, I stumbled upon a drink recipe on the internet. I sadly don't remember where it was, but I remember that the blog writer who shared the recipe said it was a drink they discovered in a cafe in Sweden.
The drink was Coffee+Lemonade.
In Germany, I had cola mixed with a certain type of beer, and that was weird. A couple Christmases ago, I started mixing Egg Nog with Ginger Beer--again, strange. But, learning about lemonade mixed with coffee was a whole other category of combinations I'd never think of on my own. You know..."Like lamb and tuna fish."
Or was it...?
It most definitely was not. This drink quickly became my dearest, most refreshing coffee friend. I've made this recipe more times than I could keep track, and have won over many-a-convert to the lemonade + coffee blend.
Since discovering this fresh, home-made deliciousness, I've done a lot of experimenting. I've tried:
- Cutting out the need for fresh lemons by making lemonade in advance and adding it to the cold brew.
- Mixing a bottle of yummy Trader Joe's Organic Lemonade with my cold brew.
- Adding more lemon to my simple syrup, so as to cut out the need for a fresh lemons come drinking time.
- Using oranges since I always have those on hand. It was WAY too sweet and lacked the tartness that makes it so great.
- And lastly, and worst of all, forcing a cup of hot coffee to get cold quickly by adding ice (yuck!).
So, when I tell you that making this refreshing twist of a coffee beverage from scratch is a necessity--I mean it. That also means there's a need to prepare for all of the ingredients in advance.
Last thing: if you're weirded out by the idea of coffee and lemon, think about the fact that adding lemon or lemonade to black tea is completely normal. That usually helps people get past the weird factor.
And...ENJOY! Also, thank you to the one who originally shared this recipe online, so others could too!!
Coffee Lemonade //
Based on your sweet, bitter, and sour preferences, you should totally play with the measurements on this, but here's what I do:
- 1 Cup of Ice
- 1/2 Part Cold Brew Coffee (Stir 1/3 cup fine coffee grinds to every 3 cups cold water in a sealed container and let sit overnight on the counter. Strain and place in fridge. I use a glass jar with a lid for the brewing and a French Press to strain).
- 1/2 Part Home-Made Lemon Simple Syrup that has cooled in the fridge (Boil 1 cup sugar to every 1 cup water to every lemon juice and zest from half of a FRESH lemon for one minute or so, and let sit until it thickens.)
- Top each serving off with juice from half of a lemon.
Cold Coffee + Sweet + Tart. Yum!!
Just to reiterate, I promise you I've tried every shortcut in the book on this recipe, and this is truly the way to go. IF (and it is a big IF) you're reallllly craving some Coffee Lemonade and never seem to have lemons on hand, getting good. I mean--GOOD. Lemonade and mixing it with cold brew can work. BUT, everything fresh and made by your hands is definitely the best way to go.
I hope you enjoy!! Tag me if you decide to make yourself a delicious batch--I want to hear what you think :) Also, do you have any weird recipe combinations that you love? Share below!!
Thanks and Blessings from Oakland.